Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Day 71: improvise "exertion" and "recuperation"



Doing this made me think of a few things.

Then I thought of Leyya Tawil's piece Destroy, which I performed in a few years back. It was basically a structured improvisation built around a few movement phrases. There were parts of the piece where the instruction was to repeat a movement until you couldn't anymore (it involved circling the head around, so dizziness set in fairly quickly), then you would rest just until the moment you were able to pop up and continue the phrase. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Then I thought of Mugwumpin, because they have been exploring a theme of endurance and exhaustion.

Why do exertion and recuperation lead me directly to endurance and exhaustion? Do I have some sort of macho work ethic? Harderfasterbetterstronger? Does exertion have to push to a limit? Can recuperation be interesting?

Then I thought of exercise programs. 45 seconds of intense activity and 15 seconds of rest! Keep that heart rate up!

Exertion came out as bouncing and flailing around for most of this, with one brief foray into isometric exertion in the form of a lunge. I got bored with that one before long. I did feel like I was doing a demented workout video.

I think there is more to say about all of this, but I'm worn out from my exertions. Time to recuperate.


No comments:

Post a Comment